A global advocacy and capacity building process for the Local Government and Municipal Authorities (LGMA) constituency has been developed in the run-up to COP17/CMP7. This process will be delivered by main local partners SALGA (South African Local Governments' Association), SACN (South African Cities' Network), eThekwini and global coordinating partner ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, in close partnership with partner local government (LG) and City networks and key private sector partners. The process is designed to advance the global LG Climate Change Roadmap formally embarked upon in Bali (2007) and will be marked by a series of interlinked and complementary milestones, events and outputs ahead of and during COP17/CMP7.
For COP17/CMP7, the objectives of the global LG Climate Change Roadmap are to:
- Build on successful global advocacy and milestones achieved by the global LG Climate Change Roadmap since Bali, and linked to the UNFCCC COPs since 1995.
- Reinforce the need, and seek increased recognition for the pivotal and urgent role of cities and local governments in the implementation of immediate, up-scaled local climate actions.
- Provide platforms for high-level interventions, direct negotiations and new partnerships aimed at new and increased commitments, resources, policy frameworks, legal mandates and Public Private Parternships to enable significant and urgent up-scaled local climate action.
- Demonstrate and report on local climate commitments and actions and the cumulative current and projected impacts of such commitments and actions for the global common good.
- Build on the outcomes and momentum of previous UNFCCC COP engagements, Resilient Cities 2010 and 2011 and related regional and international LG climate advances.
Key COP17/CMP7 LG Climate Change Roadmap Milestones, Events and Outputs will include:
The Climate Change Learning Exchange:
This two day platform for learning is to be held on the 30th November and 1st December, immediately prior to the Durban LG Convention. Its aim is to increase the understanding of climate change issues by Local Government officials attending the LG Convention.
The Durban Local Government Convention: Adapting to a changing climate
The Durban LG Convention will be held at the Durban City Hall. This Convention will be a major international event, timed strategically to run parallel with COP17/CMP7 from the 2nd – 4th December 2011. Building on the recognition of local governments as the governmental stakeholders in the Cancun Agreement, local governments and their associations will convene to focus on understanding and improving the profile of adaptation as a critical tool in achieving local developmental and sustainability objectives. The outcomes of this convention will be conveyed across to the main negotiating hall during COP17-CMP7, with the intention that it will increase the profile of adaptation in the negotiations. For more details on how to register, please visit www.iclei.org.
The global Local Government Climate Lounge at COP17
More details to follow shortly…